Giovannangelo: Blog Post # 1


After my first week of alerts, I may need to adjust the alerts that I originally set up due to that fact that I didn’t get that many articles delivered to my inbox.
The first article that was delivered was very interesting to read through. It highlighted the University of Wisconsin and how it partnered with a few local school districts to use the $112,000.00 grant that they received to help develop their ESL programs and educate bilingual teachers through a 16 month training program. The project allows 20 teachers to enter the training program. Within the school districts, 1,540 EL students are served, and more than 58 languages are spoken. 

 I was so intrigued reading this article because I never realized how many grants are out there and available, and how helpful and useful they can be. I was also shocked to hear how many different languages are spoken within the district. I think training programs for teachers are extremely valuable, especially when you take into account how many different languages might be in one classroom. Also, when you consider how expensive they can be, I would assume there are plenty of districts trying to education EL students without the proper training. I know that I would need extensive training in order to educate EL students. While the article didn’t necessarily highlight technology, I do think it was an interesting read, and helped highlight the need for proper training for teachers! I will post the article link below for you to explore:

Comments

  1. Hello Alexsandria,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog. I was surprised with how much many the grant was. I think its great that the state provides opportunities for teacher to be trained to meet the needs of so many EL students (1540). With so many different languages being taught its important that teachers have the proper skills to effectively teach these students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same problem with my alerts. I had to add some more alerts, so that I got more articles to read. Some schools have grant writers on staff, which allow them to gain some awesome programs. Our school is small and doesn't have an individual grant writer. We have been lucky though, because our Assistant Director apparently didn't have a life and did a lot of grant writing. Allowing many of our programs to get necessary equipment in our labs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Giovannangelo: Blog Post # 3

Giovannangelo: Blog Post 2