Giovannangelo: Blog Post 2

               This week’s google inbox delivery was extremely helpful in terms of tips and information for using technology when working with English Language Learners. I feel as though this is applicable to me because while I will most likely never teach an ELL class, I may have an L2 learner in my class. At that point, I would need to make sure I know what resources I can use to support them in my class. The article explains the importance of utilizing and combing graphics, video, and audio within the curriculum in order to meet many different learning styles, and to support English language learners. The article explains that research shows that it can take more than five years for the average child to acquire the academic language necessary to succeed in school. Since I never really thought about how long it may take, this was a bit shocking, but it definitely shows that students may need accommodations for years in order to support them.


The first technological support the article mentioned is the interactive whiteboard. We have these installed in all of the classrooms, so it was interesting to read about the suggestions for using them since it’s something that I already integrate into my instruction on a daily basis. The article explains that the interactive whiteboards are helpful in promoting student engagement, presenting multi-media lesson, and getting students involved in the lesson. This helps the teacher incorporate pictures and videos into the note taking segments of class so that English Language Learners can pair the two and better comprehend what is being conveyed.

Another awesome and free resource that was recommended is Microsoft Photo Story. This software is an exciting alternative to the traditional slideshow that allows users to customize motion, narrate voice, and add music. One awesome feature is the narration. The article explains that since oral language is acquired before written language, the narration feature is a great accommodation to use with L2 learners.  Teachers can use Photo Story to summarize a challenging topic in way ELL students can understand. The other alternative is to allow students to create their own photo story to help demonstrate their learning on a given topic.




It is definitely worth a read for fun and exciting ideas about how to use technology to support L2 learners in the classroom.

Comments

  1. Hello Alexsandria,

    I really like the idea of using Microsoft Photo Story in the classroom. I think that this would be great for group projects even with my elementary students. I would need to guide them through it but I think that they would like the collaboration and create their own slides. I agree with you that the narration piece is such a great component for L2 learners. Thanks for sharing!

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Giovannangelo: Blog Post # 3

Giovannangelo: Blog Post # 1